Sunday, March 27, 2011

THE WORLD NEEDS MORE CROCHET & LACE


Back when our Moms and Grandmothers did crocheting, embroidery,sewing, knitting and quilting the world seemed a safer place, and certainly more beautiful because of all their wonderful creations. Some even did tatting. No one in my family did tatting, so I never learned to do that..and now it's almost a lost art. But it's one of the most beautiful. So, thinking about that, I decided that what the world needs is more crochet, lace, trims, fringes and stuff. So, I dug into my stash and used my finds to create this fab spring coat by using a 3X grey ribbed sweater and junking it up with all sorts of laces, vintage crochet, fringes, raw edge cotton muslin and even vintage buttons. Then I dipped it in dye to coordinate the colors, which in this case needed to be shades of grey to work with the sweater body. It's lightweight enough for cool spring days or air conditioned summer nights. The sleeves are extra long with stretch cuffs that can be pushed up for a really fab look. I love using bits and pieces and recycled sweaters to create great new looks and not adding to our overfilled landfills. I'm posting it on etsy and also taking it to our local arts and craft show coming up the middle of April.

No comments:

Post a Comment